[RC] re: Big Ride Training - Cindy Collins

I, too, was appalled by the mileage recommended.  I have never in my 29 years endurance riding had a week where I conditioned a horse 50 miles, much less 90.  I do use 50 milers as a build up to a 100.  Honestly, it sounded like "the old days" when people brought horses to rides way over-conditioned and looking like greyhounds.  However, I don't know this gal's horse or what his metabolism is like, etc.  I'm glad it worked for her, but I sure wouldn't want any newbies following that recipe.  On the positive side, it's a thoughtful, well written article and we all love to see Juniors doing 100 milers and being so enthusiastic about endurance.  Her riding in competition seems very conservative and appropriate.  So, viva la difference!  Cindy

Cindy Collins