[RC] Round pony/crupper question - sherman

I have a round pony, too. Our trails are up and down, almost no flat riding. The crupper does keep the saddle from going over the neck. Paloma didn’t like it at first, took several rides for her to adjust to it and even then I could tell it bothered her, swishing tail, dirty looks, etc. I finally put a THICK sheepskin cover on it and her attitude is much better.

Crupper training was pretty easy since Paloma was already accustomed to her tail being handled, lifted, etc., we always did lots of rubbing, scratching under the tail. The first time you put the crupper on, do it in a confined area, have it on a loose adjustment so it will not put any pressure on initially. I lounged her until I knew she was not bothered by the feel, then I tightened a bit more. Keep tightening until there is finally pressure under the tail when the horse moves. Get your horse to trot and canter with it tightened until they are no longer bothered by it. Ride in the confined area before you go out on the trails. Pick a trail where the hills are more gradual at first, build up to the steeper hills.

I use cruppers on all my horses now, not just the mutton withered. I feel it adds a bit more security in emergencies, like the time my girth came completely undone.

Kathy

We have no flat ground here in the hills of Southern Oregon and my Icelandic is tough as nails on the steep trails, but she's also low-withered and round-bodied so her saddle slips forward going downhill. I have always resisted using a crupper, envisioning a rodeo. Will using a crupper keep her saddle in place? Is it hard to introduce? She's a pretty stoic little thing but not quite bomb proof.

Nancy