Re: [RC] [RC] out of the pasture, and newbies - Kathy Mayeda

I think it really depends on the individual and how they ride.  A lot of our rides are in parks we already ride in, so why not do an LD there?  I had been trailriding on my horse for several years before I did any endurance - in big groups with a little speed, so why not?

If you are poking around at a walk and afraid of every little thing, of course not!  I don't want to tick off some of my Parelli friends, but the bulk of them I would never, never say to bring their horses to an LD because they can't even trot for 5 minutes in an arena.  And most of them aren't interested anyway which is fine by me.

I took one of them on her first LD ride that I knew could handle it, and she finished with an hour to spare.  She went faster than she wanted to the 1st go around, but the 2nd ride, she just told me that she wanted to just let her horse go and see what she could do.  Horse was fine in both cases.  She's now addicted to the sport.  Another one of my friends bought a mustang this year to do endurance with, and found that he has a few quirks on the trail so she wisely chose to not ride in an endurance event even though he may physically be able to do it.  He's just not mentally ready yet.

Never did CTR, nor am I interested in doing any.

K.