Re: [RC] re: out of the pasture - Cindy Collins

Ah, Ed and Truman...isn't it wonderful when we worthless old timers agree on something :)

BTW, my best newbie advice, which I realize most people cannot do, is to start a horse on XP style "Duck" rides.  They are laid back.  The starts are incredibly sane.  The horses that are there are mostly very experienced and will "teach" your horse that it's no big deal, just keep moving steadily down the trail.  They learn that you may get back on them the next day, so they'd better drink, eat and sleep when possible, etc.

Of course, my REAL downfall as an endurance rider is that I never start my horses on anything but 50 milers...:)  And, I started one horse on a 100 (OMG)!  Although I no longer own her, she, btw, has over 1900 miles, competed for about 8 years and is a healthy, loved horse.  Cindy