[RC] Bob Walz - Garrett . Ford

I’m very sorry to hear the news about Bob Walz.? Bob was a great horseman and invented several items that are still being used in the sport of endurance today.? I’ll remember Bob for many reasons.

Bob was a Tucson resident back in the early eighties when my family started riding endurance.? We traveled to many rides together and often conditioned horses together.? At over 6’ 5’’ Bob had some big feet and needed a stirrup to support his clod hoppers.? Being a great metal fabricator Bob came up with the first E-Z Ride Stirrup designs in the early eighties.? The stirrup worked for Bob and he ended up selling them to all his endurance friends.

Bob was also an incredible diesel mechanic.? In the mid eighties, Bob removed the diesel engine from a large dump truck and retrofitted the engine for his ¾ ton Chevy.? He then fabricated several diesel tanks that carried over 150 gallons of diesel.? His truck and fuel tanks were the envy of every endurance rider.? The truck could not only pull any trailer but it had an incredible range.? Most production diesel trucks are now similar to what Bob put together in his garage.?

Bob got in a bit of trouble with his truck in the late eighties.? Bob would drive the truck across the US border to Nogales Mexico in order to fill the 150+ gallon tanks with cheap diesel fuel.? Diesel in Mexico was $.40- $.60 a gallon back then and Bob was always looking to save money.? After many successful trips to Mexico, Bob was put in a Mexican jail and the truck was impounded.? Bob spent several weeks in the Mexican jail as many local Tucson friends and endurance riders rushed to get him out.? With a bunch of effort from my family and many others Bob was released.? Bob had some wild stories after the release.? Every Tuesday night at the jail was “gringo night” and all the gringos were beat up.? After a couple beatings Bob made the appropriate friends.? Although Bob was released they didn’t release his truck.? Bob went back to Mexico, cut open the impound gates and drove the truck back to the USA without stopping at the border.? Several years later my dad purchased the truck from Bob, we still have it.

Bob was my sponsor twice at the Tevis Cup.? When you ride 100 miles with someone you really get to know them.? Bob helped get me and my horse through the Tevis twice. ??Bob was scared of riding in the dark and my horse loved ripping down the California Loop below Foresthill.? I can remember Bob yelling “Whoa Bruce, Whoa Bruce”.? It went on for hours.

In the mid nineties I approached Bob and offered to purchase his E-Z Ride Stirrup and Equine Heart Rate Monitor business.? Bob transported all the equipment down to Tucson from the Auburn area and trained our staff to manufacture his stirrups.? The stirrups have been a great success and are used by endurance riders around the globe.

Thanks for the memories and contributions!? ?

Garrett Ford

EasyCare Inc.

2300 E. Vistoso Commerce Loop

Tucson, AZ 85755