RE: [RC] [Endurance Riding: News] Malaysia's King finishes HH Shk Mohamed bin Rashid A... - Dolores Arste

This speed for the is unbelievable. But, all the
grousing about it reminds me of the world of Sled dog
racing of which we were a part.

In the beginning it was enough to make it to the finish of
these long distance races. Then, the dogs were crossed
with faster and faster breeds. It was a delicate balance
to breed a dog with enough heart from his Siberian heritage
to go out and run for 3 days or more straight at top speed.
Training had to change too.

When Doc Lombard first went to Alaska with his team of
well fed, well vetting Siberians, he cleaned up. But, everyone
else was on notice. They soon fed better, cared for the dogs
better.

Then the experiments with cross breeding. And, because
the dogs got faster, the tracks had to get faster too. More
technology was used to create a hard packed surface to run
on. And, we heard the same kind of thing. They must be
on drugs. So, drug testing was brought in.

Then, the brought in teams of vets because every once
in awhile a dog would die racing. It happens even to the best.

We left the sport due to our own frailties about 10 years ago
now. I took up long distance riding and my husband took up
long distance running. We could still train together.

With the dogs we could no longer work all day and drive to snow
to train 3 10 dog teams arriving home well after midnight after training
mostly in the dark.

We've continued to watch with interest how high tech has changed
the sport. Coats for the dogs that can be taken off so one can breed
for a shorter coat. Dogs with shorter coats don't overheat on the
warmer days and they wear coats when it's cold.

At first, when there was no snow, we trained off specially designed
rigs with car tires and breaks. Then came 4 wheelers and we moved
up to training with those. A team trained to pull a 4 wheeler got stronger
faster and so got faster too. Strength will give you more speed when
balanced correctly.

Now there are treadmills and inside training facilities so that the dogs
can be trained all year long. And, the times get faster still. Now the
driver has to be as much of an athlete as the dogs.

These Dubai riders are not your heavy weight riders. I'll bet they
train as hard as the horses. Times will get faster. Tracks will
get faster. Support will get more and more technical. But, there
will still be a spot for the 100 miler just going out to finish. That's
what makes these sports so much fun.

I think the runners at the VT 100 still beat the horses in finish time
but they haven't seen these Dubai horses. Or, perhaps it is that
the Dubai horses haven't seen the VT hills.

One year in VT I talked to an older lady with a wonderful fit
Arab mare. She was in peak condition. I asked her how she
trained. She said she had a hill out back of her house. She
went up and down that hill and when the mare got to the top
she got a peanut butter sandwich.

PS: I'd love to see that training regime that came from France.

Warmly,
Dolores Arste
(518) 882 6485