[RC] horse control and trust - Dawn Simas

<< I can't imagine riding a blind horse up those granite steps and along that drop-off above the lake. >>

Hi Dorothy,

Thank you.  You can see a photo of us on one of the bridges by Sterling Point on the webpage (www.wildaboutcats.org/mojo2.htm)  I sometimes think that there is an advantage to the blindness in animals that are instinctually flight-based.  Technically, we don't want our horses to take any step that we didn't dictate, but with the luxury of their own vision, they sometimes decide to think for themselves.  Mojo is putting his life in my hands with every step and, even though sometimes I forget, *he* never forgets that.  I have the ultimate in control with Mojo.  The kind of control that we all dream of in our horses.  That they would put every body part where we want it when we ask.  Believe me, that trail is not as scary on him as it is on many a sighted horse.  Mojo is exceptional and well-suited to his blindness because he has a sensibility and self-preservation instinct that overrules everything.  If spooked, he would never think to bolt of move anywhere without my help.  His rider is his eyes.

There was a pivotal point in his training and the development of trust that seemed to click with him and us (two of us were working with him then).  We broke him to ride and he had whoa and walk and trot down.  But he'd never cantered or used that third gait and was afraid to when we'd ask.  We'd be in the arena for months, trotting FAST and asking for more and he'd just trot faster.  One of us mounted and the other would be chasing him with a whip tickling his ankles trying to spook him into a canter so that we could instantly reward him and tell him *that* is what we wanted.  Finally when that worked, he immediately figured out the gait.  But the funny part is this.  That is when all the doors opened for that horse.  He suddenly seemed to understand that now he could do things *with* us that he could never do alone.  That was when we started taking him places, on trails, in groups and shows, socializing with other horses, fun things, running fast, etc.  All stuff he'd never experienced in his life.  He'd dive into a bridle with anticipation, because when we climb onto his back, he is no longer blind.

:)  Dawn