[RC] [RC] encouragement for a friend - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

Sorry, Cindy, I can't read your friend's email, since the online digest
XXXes out such things.

Amongst the 25 horses that completed all four days of Death Valley
Encounter two weeks ago was a blind-in-one-eye mare ridden by
16 yr old Julia [Can't Remember Her Last Name].

I had the pleasure of riding for a few miles with Julia and her mare in
the middle of Day 4 and as far as I could tell the mare didn't care. I believe
Julia said that she could get a little cranky if another horse approached
on her blind side - but then again, she's a mare, and most mares can
get a little cranky if another horse comes up on *any* side.

This mare had only done a few 50s prior to DVE and certainly wasn't
suffering any ill effects due to her "disability".

Another one I know about - local trainer/endurance rider Janine Esler
has a horse that lost its eyesight in one eye due to moonblindness. I'm
pretty sure the horse went on to complete Tevis afterwards.

Cindy Collins <c_collins@xxxxxxx> wrote:
My friend Jeanne Krenning just had to have an eye removed on her upcoming endurance horse.  She's feeling pretty down.  She emailed me asking if I knew any one-eyed endurance horses that were successful. ... If you have any other stories to share, please email her.  Thanks.
< jkrenning@xxxxxxx >

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA