[RC] Rye hay-sugar - Patti

I am wondering about the sugar content in hays. Specifically grass hays. I =
was just told that Rye grass has a ton of sugar in it. I was also told that=
 it had a lot estrogen in it.

Grass hays can really vary in sugar/starch levels - with a total NSC (simple sugar plus starch) ranging from 8% to 17.6% (http://www.dairyone.com/Forage/FeedComp/disclaimer.asp). The only way you can be certain is to have it tested. Warm season grasses (such as Bermuda) do tend to run lower, small grain hays "tend" to run higher - safergrass.org is a good reference for this. Higher sugar levels shouldn't be related to muscle problems - its more likely to cause hoof problems (laminitis) in susceptible horses.
I couldn't find anything about rye grass related to high levels of phyto-estrogens (more common in alfalfa), but it is susceptible to endophytes (ergot) which could affect muscles. http://www.myhorse.com/health/preventative/protect_your_horse_from_toxic_and_poisonous_grasses.aspx#top

Patti K
Vail AZ