From: Jean Sherrell [mailto:jeanindermark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 12:32 PM
To: mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Interesting article

They are. In the book I mentioned that I was reading this a.m., one of the
trainers said she hated the obligatory attendance with her clients at
"training sales" and "breeding sales." Once she commented on how
heartbreaking it was to watch two-year olds galloping furiously around the
course at top speed, damaging their still-soft bones and muscles and tendons
so that they'd definitely break down after a few years of racing if that
long. Also commented on the huge fat baby-to-yearlings wearing down their
unformed very thin legs because that was the "look" that sells. Lots more
specifics in book, if you can stand the plots and personalities of the
players. One jockey's experience of a ride on a strong talented thoroughbred
is almost like being there. It was a "claims" race where horses that look
good are claimed and bought by other trainers for their clients. This
particular horse was "claimed" by a trainer the jockey and current trainer
knew would run the horse till it broke down. Incentive to put horses in
"claims" races is to sell them so the owners see return on investment and
it's the owners that decide whether or not horses go in this direction.
Jockey described feeling through the reins the mouth of the bitted horse
(which he never pulled on or even tweaked) as a remarkable sort of
communication and, later after the ride, still felt it as a "gentle heat".

They're breeding in weak bone by breeding the very fastest ones most famous
ones, lots of line breeding, and leaving strength out of the breeding
equation  because once the horse is bought it's no skin off their nose if it
breaks down on its owner. Sort of like Peruvians bred for smoothness so much
that they lose other qualities.

I guess the sport of kings (and of modern king capitalists with superbucks
an an affinity for horses) has been ruined by the democratic expansion to
anyone with enough money to waste being able to buy and sell these huge
animals. Interesting to me is the different personalities and behaviors of
these thoroughbreds described. The ones I rode in my youth were pretty much
the disagreeable ones their owners didn't like riding enough to ride in the
winter, so maybe my opinion is biased. The only one you could even remotely
consider as "nice" (i.e. she didn't habitually try to bite me and only
kicked other horses when provoked) was really pretty dumb and even more
hysterical than the bad actors. I've never been exposed to "good"
thoroughbreds. Did like the Irish hunters, half TB and half warmbloods, that
were calmer somewhat and not crazy. It was a nice feeling jumping on one of
those big horses sailing over fences until one day he got scared and
suddenly stopped, and I went over the fence but only broke my arm.

Thanks for sending this. Interesting.