Re: [RC] [RC] sick to my stomach...more heartbroken - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your candid, open and honest post.  You hit the nail on the head.  Accidents can happen.  And when accidents seem to be more prevalent and frequent.

We as supporters of the industry (equine at large) need to take notice, voice our opinions, and affect change if possible.  No one can throw stones at anyone else in this industry.  We all have a responsibility to insure the health, well being, preservation and protection of all equine, in what ever manner we can.  That said, anyone whom has a problem with the way the Kentucky Derby race was handled; how the jockey did or did not look out for the best interest of the horse, which, in this case, is my concern; worried that we are racing horses too young, worried that breeders are not paying close enough attention to bone density in their breeding program given the increase in jockey weight allowances;  and/or but not  least -  worried the powers that be raised the jockey weight allowances without care or concern what that weight was going to put on the front legs of the race horses; then put your concerns down, in writing, to the race commission of Kentucky, Maryland, and New York (the triple crown states).

Kentucky Racing Commission
4073 Iron Works Pike, Bldg.B
Lexington, KY 40511
(859) 246-2040
website:
http://www.state.ky.us/agencies/cppr/krc/

Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation
Maryland Racing Commission
300 E. Towsontowne Boulevard
Towson, Maryland 21286
(410) 296-9682
(410) 296-9687
  Fax
e-mail:
racing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

New York State Racing & Wagering Board
1 Broadway Center, Suite 600
Schenectady, New York 12305-2553
518-395-5400

Send Questions or Comments to: mailto:info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

When public opinion become loud enough, angry enough, and forceful enough, then and only then, will change take affect!   Which means that the numbers of protesters has to out weigh the number of on and off track betters by two!   Betting has to decrease in alignment with public sentiment BEFORE the racing commissions will take notice!  Therefore, grass roots organizers need to get busy!

A Little Perspective

Let me teach you.
When you are tense, let me teach you to relax.
When you are short tempered, let me teach you to be patient.
When you are short sighted, let me teach you to see.
When you are quick to react, let me teach you to be thoughtful.
When you are angry, let me teach you to be serene.
When you feel superior, let me teach you to be respectful.
When you are self-absorbed, let me teach you to think of greater things.
When you are arrogant, let me teach you humility.
When you are lonely, let me be your companion.
When you are tired, let me carry the load.
When you need to learn, let me teach you.
After all, I am your horse.

Willis Lamm 1997

--
D'Arcy L. Demianoff-Thompson