Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 07:06:56 -0700
From: glenn218@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Older TB race horses...Ranelle
To: raneller@xxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is interesting, Ranelle.  I'm sure it cost her more money up front.  Fiscally, does your friend experience success later?  I'm sure the horse's health is better.  I'm really impressed by your friend and interested in learning more...like, how many others in the flat-track "industry" are doing something similar?

While a 4 year-old will never make Triple Crown history, (s)he can certainly make a mark in the racing world.  There are big races for older horses and once they prove themselves on the track, there's always the breeding shed (where the money seems to be now).

I almost hate to admit this, but I've always loved horse racing.  I don't love the age they start but I love to watch these magnificent animals racing.  I'd be happier if they were older doing it...and not on drugs.

Ranelle Rubin <raneller@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a friend who raises T-breds for the track. She starts all her horses in the arena, then the trail, and does not even send them to the trainer to start running on the track until the fall of their 3rd year, so they do not race until they are 4. If they don't make it as a race horse, they come home and are trained as jumpers.

Semper Obliquo (Always aside),
Susan Young, ISSO Secretary, ISSO Points Secretary, Regional Representative
Your Independent Mary Kay Beauty Consultant
Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.
"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)