RE: [RC] mares/heat - Dodie Sable

Title: Message
It's very bizarre that after 3 years your gelding would suddenly get all hepped up on your mare.  Although an expensive solution, you could try putting her on a low level dose of regu-mate for 60 days and see if that curbs her desires to be a mommy.  Or you could continue to keep them separated.  (Or you could breed her so she gets her wish!!!)

I can tell you that I do not mix sexes in the turn out groups for this very reason.  Geldings and colts are in one pasture, broodmares in one pasture, open mares in one pasture.  Some mares are so "hormonal" to have a foal that they will even pester other mares in the field when a stallion is not available.  I have one mare that calls to my stallions during her heat cycle.  She screams and screams for a week each month.  I hate it.

Dodie