Re: [RC] electrolytes/colic/high HR - Don Huston

Hello Kathy,

I have had 2 minor episodes similar to yours on 2 different horses. They never happened again and I was never sure what happened but I did make some changes after thinking things over. The first episode was12 years ago. The horse had been vaccinated 10 days before a race and I suspected that that was what caused his problem. I also remembered that my horse tended to sweat way more than normal for 7-10 days after being tranquilized for dental work etc. So I decided to never do an endurance ride any sooner that 3 weeks after vacs or a tranq.

The other episode was Jan07 with my horse that I have been riding for 8 years with no hint of metabolic issues. He always eats well and loves to snack on leftovers at the vet checks. I always keep an eye on what he finds to eat but this time he stopped eating before lunch was over and I didn't think any thing was wrong. We finished the 50 but he didn't seem right and instead of rolling he just laid down and looked like he had a gut ache. The next 2-3 hours I watched him get better and thought over the days events. I remembered he was eating some beetpulp mash at lunch that was sticky (does it do that normally?) and I made him quit but maybe not in time. It wasn't too long after that that he quit eating. So I have decided to limit his snacking on leftovers to dry stuff, no sticky mash that might be going sour.

Since both of your horses seemed to be affected I would not suspect ulcers or stones. I would suspect something that you did to both horses like vacs or something you fed them. Wouldn't it be easier if they could just TALK?

Don Huston