From: Steph Teeter <stephteeter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: [RC] Electrolytes

I want to heartily second what Heidi has said here!! While horses can

and do develop electrolyte deficiencies in our sport, the most common

metabolic problems are exhaustion (lack of energy) and dehydration.

And often the reason a horse quits eating is because of exhaustion -

when energy is low and muscles fatigue, blood is shunted to the

muscles, at the expense of the stomach and intestines and the gut

will 'shut down'. Administering electrolyte drenches to a horse that

'seems tired' and is actually dehydrated can be very damaging,

especially if the horse is not eating or drinking well.

If you are new to the sport, learn about your horse gradually - and

with fitness and experience you will develop a better feeling for

your horse's capability and needs. If a horse stops eating during a

ride it means (to me) either the horse is uncomfortable or he was

ridden too hard/fast.

Steph