Re: [RC] Electrolytes - Jen

OK, so we have only done one at a "longer" distance - 25 miles.  So far her
appetite was JUST FINE!!! (I like to call her "Chunky Monkey", it suits her
looks and personality!) She drank OK on the trail and ate everything in front
of her - just grass hay, some apples and alfalfa pellets for treats (at halfway
hold and after ride).  Gotlands can get fat on thistles and air - so they are
on a pretty restricted diet - usually just grass hay, and careful of amount of
grazing she does - the breeder had a mare founder on too much grass - and so is
very careful.  She ate probably equivalent hay to 1-2 flakes (from a small
square bale).

She sweated a lot, so that is why they recommended giving her some electrolytes
(they being other riders, and vet said OK to give since you cannot overdose on
electrolytes, will just excrete extra - so long as is otherwise fine!)  She
wasn't at all tired, just wet and hungry and thirsty after the ride.  Her gut
sounds decreased to a B after the ride (A's at beginning and hold).  What does
this indicate to you? Tiredness, therefore gut shutting down, not lack of
e-lytes?

I do understand you can overdo electroytes, especially if dehydrated.  What
other damage can high levels cause?

You said there are electrolytes in forage, are there still high enough levels
in hay?  Or is it stronger in grass?

So, would a good plan be to not buy any, ride a few rides, see how she does,
and borrow some if needed on a ride?  Are they that expensive?  Or should I
have some on hand, just in case she might need?  My personality is a "just in
case" kinda girl, I'd rather spend a bit extra, and have something on hand (I
hate mooching!)  And if I never need, that's just fine with me!

Oh, this electrolyte thing is confusing me!  Sorry if I am asking too many
questions!

Jen

From: Steph Teeter <stephteeter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I want to heartily second what Heidi has said here!! While horses can
and do develop electrolyte deficiencies in our sport, the most common
metabolic problems are exhaustion (lack of energy) and dehydration.
And often the reason a horse quits eating is because of exhaustion -
when energy is low and muscles fatigue, blood is shunted to the
muscles, at the expense of the stomach and intestines and the gut
will 'shut down'.

If you are new to the sport, learn about your horse gradually - and
with fitness and experience you will develop a better feeling for
your horse's capability and needs.

Steph