Re: [RC] Antelope - Valerie Jaques

The theory as to why pronghorn antelope are so fast, despite not having a predator that runs as fast, is that their predator went extinct.  I remember my father (something of an amateur archeologist/paleontologist) talking about evidence of a cheetah-like animal that used to live in North America.  It actually appears to have been the ancestor of the cheetah in Africa.  It seems to have followed prey it could catch.  The pronghorns got too fast for 'em....