[RC] knowing your horse's heart - Jean Miller

I started riding Charlie when he was 5 in competition.  Somewhere along the line the vets noticed that he had a heart murmer.  As he got older, the murmer was more pronounced.  It sure didn't affect his performance one iota.  In fact when he was 22, he took Amy from Ohio, a young teen then, on a 2 day 75. (I am not allowed to tell anyone how old she is now) The vets were watching him carefully.  Day 2 he was sleeping in his pen about 15 min before take-off.  Since it was competitive and we were sent out one by one, Amy took off after me.  I only rode a couple of 100 feet in front of her and then waited.  Imagine all of our surprises when Charlie stood up on his hind legs before the timer let him go on  trail!!!!  22 years young, heart murmer and all, that horse did that 2 day 75 and probably averaged about 7 - 8 mph.  Jeanie