Re: [RC] [Endurance Tracks] First Class Educational Programme for Endurance - SandyDSA

In a message dated 4/23/2008 8:21:43 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Is there something wrong with the "proper growth" of endurance in the USA?  I thought we were doing quite nicely, having just about doubled our membership in the past - what? - 10 years or so?  We have education, we have protection of horses, we have great conventions, we have beautiful rides, we have camarderie amongst riders.  So why do we need a "foundation for proper growth?"  All I see out of this is the "proper growth" of flat-out 100 mile horse RACES.  I don't think endurance SHOULD become "professional."  When it does, if it does, there goes OUR concept of endurance riding in this country.  Sorry, not interested.
oh GOSH Barbara, THANK YOU! I am really tired of tippy toeing around the FEI peeps, and frankly, tired of them nosing into everything AERC. I think AERC is coming along nicely, with the only chinks in the armor in general being the result of idiotic things like this. I feel like I do about our government, get the heck outta my LIFE!!!! The reason we got out of shows and into endurance was so that we could ride, really ride, take care of our hors, wear what we want (read, no collared shirts when it is 100 degrees and you are sweating like  a hog) and be free of a bureaucracy doing EXACTLY what this FEI biz is trying to do - to reformat OUR sport to suit THEIR structural wants. Can the two co-exist peacefully? Probably - but it depends on whether or not FEI gets out of our biz! Go do whatever you have to do but don't use us as stepping stones to do it.

IMHO, and Barb's too apparently - the LATS thing we need is FEI's opinion of "proper growth" to dictate anything to AERC. Sheesh - give it a rest!

Sandy Adams
Deep Sands Arabians
www.deepsands.com