[RC] Earthquake! Earthquake?? - Equiphil

   Wow!  Just came back from one of my favorite rides, Chicken Chase, and we experienced an earthquake.  This in southern Indiana, no less.   My friend got up to feed the horses on Friday as I stayed in the camper bed.  I thought she was walking around in the horse area of the trailer and it was shaking a bit , but the bridles were jingling, too.  I later found out that was an earthquake!  Not used to those in the midwest.
   No trails were damaged.  The trails were in the excellent shape they always have been.  This is to be the site of the National Championship this year.  Many trees had to be cleared in the weeks before the ride due to the hard winter, but it was all done in time.  I guess the Forestry Service doesn't want any re-routing done around obstacles, so the management just clears out the downed trees as needed each year.
    It should be a great ride in the fall with great management and a great club, Daniel Boone Trail Riders, to keep everything running smoothly.  I'm pumped for it already and this is only my first ride this year.   I crewed for all my friends that did the 50 and 55 milers and even helped out in the pulse box back at camp. I only did an LD ride on Saturday as this was a test run for my new knee.  I rode my old steady 23 year old boy.  Some of those hills were hard work for him and I walked them, but still finished 3rd.  Don't look for a flat race course out there.  Indiana has plenty of hills requiring thinking by the horse and rider in that forest.
Roberta Harms
AERC #448