Re: [RC] Coggins and pass/fail prepurchases - Beth Walker

In my area, this is exactly how it works. The vet tells the buyer of his/her findings, and also tells the buyer of any likely results -- it is the vets responsibility to interpret the findings for the buyer so that the buyer can make an informed decision as to whether the horse is suitable for them.

For that matter -- the buyer is free to decide at any time that the horse is not for them. That can include finding out during the vet exam that you can't get within 20 feet of the horse with a needle. The horse may be perfectly sound, but is not suitable for that buyer, who doesn't want to mess with such an issue.

Now - when I bought Caisson, I just figured that the Coggins was part of the vet exam (and he was fine for the needles <g>). The buyer pays the expenses of the vet exam, so I just figured that was part of it. The question of "who pays for the Coggins" didn't even come up. I wanted a standard exam, plus X-rays, plus Coggins, so that is what I paid for. The only way I would have not incurred those expenses is if the standard exam had shown something that washed him out for what I wanted.