[RC] [RC] tying up - sherman

Our vet had us give Shadow a ½ gram of bute 2x daily for 4 days, then 1Xdaily for another 4 days to keep down inflammation. He said damage to muscles can be ongoing and testing the blood for levels of AST, LDH, and CPK was recommended, and then retesting in a couple weeks would show if the damage was continuing or not. Then it was another month for the third test which was to determine if the levels of the above were back to normal so she could be put back to work. Shadow was not allowed to return to her conditioning program until all levels were back to normal. During the waiting time, we also started her MSM and had her selenium checked, which was .187, well within the range of normal for the average horse, but low for an endurance horse. So we added that to her feed program as well.

I sure wouldn’t plan on doing a 25 or 30 mile ride anytime soon.

Good luck,

Kathy