[RC] Unleashed dogs and bikers - Smith, Dave

Kathy:  I also do the Drivers Flat loop quite frequently and have only had one bad  incident with bikers.  The fellow was blasting down the hill and saw us at the last moment.  He put his brakes on and ended up skidding toward  us.  Then he literally flew over his handlebars landing in the brush.  His bike, however, kept coming at us and ended up sliding to Hermano’s feet.  Hermano went up and I went off.  Thankfully, I wear an eventing vest as well as a water camel and though I came down flat on my back, nothing was broken.  While I may look like the Michilin Tire Man, the vest and water pack has saved my back a number of times. I must say, I find the bikers in our area almost universally polite and willing to give us the right-of-way.   About dogs:  My dog Rio goes on most of my rides and paces us – usually out front.  He wears a bell which not only scares wildlife off the trail – no deer spooking my horse – but warns the bikers that someone is coming.  More than one biker has commented that first the sound of the bell then the dog let them know someone’s just around the bend.  Rio is a very sensible dog and never rushes unfamiliar horses.  He stops and stands off the trail when we encounter other horses.  I know that other dogs can be a problem when unleashed, but mine is not one of them.  Running with us is great for him and his health and mine too since his presence has helped us avoid some close encounters of the worst kind.  -- Dave