[RC] [Fwd: Putting Ruby the Cougar down] - Melissa Margetts Ms. Kitty

--- Begin Message ---
Beverley, Thanks for the thoughts and response to my site. Yes, I put Ruby down on April 2nd. which was her 23rd birthday. She'd been with me since she was 10 days old. Last year she hit the World Longevity Record for the oldest Mountain Lion EVER LIVED. ( Must have been all the roadkill room service and Haagendaz Ice Cream!) Over her life, we did environmental education and wildlife safety programs for over 100,000 people throughout Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and California, in National Parks and communities everywhere. So she had an incredible impact in her life and hopefully planted a seed in children all over, about having responsibility and respect for the creatures we share this planet with, and to understand the powerful importance yet delicate balance of biodiversity and the reality of the "food chain". ( Everybody is someone elses lunch) What you see in the slides so far is just a smidgen of the hundreds of pics that have been pouring in of her. Damn that cat had some famous friends! Her first picture was with Jimmy Stewart. I just downloaded one that someone took when we were in Montana, of her fully stretched out in a leap into a friends swimming pool to get out to me. ( I almost peed my pants while I was also in tears, as the picture brought back the memory of her reaction when she hit the water and discovered she had to swim the length of the pool. Boy did she look like a very unhappy 175lb. cougar when she climbed out shaking her paws) My retirement, divorce and her death have made for a very hard year. I feel blessed every morning to wake up, look out my window and see my ponies and a white buffalo in my front yard under those mountains though. It's been a wonderful life.You are lucky to have the Puma as one of your medicine animals, they have a strong spirit. Wish you could have met her. Sure am glad she taught my horses to be brave and confident on the trail. A final tidbit. If you Google me and go to the article by the Telluride Watch about Ruby, you will read that she had an even more extensive profile than you know from the slides. When I get her ashes back next week I will be sending a few ounces into a company called "LifeGem" that takes the ashes of your loved one and under months of heat and pressure, is able to manufacture a man-made DIAMOND. So I will have a keepsake memory of her. A gem unique in all the world, just like she was. (after all, she outlasted the husband and was more faithful and predictable too!) The rest, we will scatter on horseback, on a trail she would follow me on while I rode our property. Believe it or not, I think the horses know she's gone and miss her too, as they have been grazing right up next to the big enclosure all week. I hope that the other info that this thread generated will have resulted in all of us being more "bear aware" and has added some more tools to our equestrian trail training so that we feel and ARE safer out there and can more fully enjoy what we see between our horses ears. Yesterday started my first ever posts on Ride camp and I have been a little too long winded on this subject so I'll shut up now. Thanks for reading and again, the intent was strictly to HELP us make positive choices and give us more tools.

Melissa Margetts

Beverley H. Kane, MD wrote:
Melissa,

What an incredible site, slide shows, and life! I just took about 45' out of
my busy day to watch, captivated! Couldn't turn it off!

I take it Ruby has gone over the rainbow bridge recently, is that correct?
The photo "last good walk" was heartbreaking for what it didn't show.

Ah, her slide show just loaded. Tears! Puma is one of my medicine animals.

Best wishes,

Beverley _______________ Beverley Kane, MD Horsensei Equine-Assisted Learning & Therapy Woodside, CA 650-868-3379 http://www.horsensei.com

The Manual of Medicine and Horsemanship--
Transforming the Doctor-Patient Relationship with Equine-Assisted Learning
http://www.authorhouse.com/bookstore/ItemDetail.aspx?bookid=49669

On 4/16/08 1:25 AM, "Melissa Margetts Ms. Kitty" <margetts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>