Jen

From: "Karen Franklin" <kfranklin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I will apologize in advance for sending this out, but I really think a
lot of you will find this interesting if you haven't already heard about
it.  There is a website at www.freerice.com that everyone should check
out.  As I heard on national news last night, it was originally created
by a businessman trying to help his teenage son increase his vocabulary
for his SAT's.  The website is basically a vocabulary game.  As soon as
you get to the home page, you are given a word and four multiple choice
answers to define the word.  The beauty of it is that when you get the
definition correct, 20 grains of rice are donated to the United Nations
World Food Program.  Every time you get a word correct, you are given a
harder word to define - get a word wrong and you get an easier word, and
so on.  It is a great learning tool (I just played and ended up donating
400 grains of rice).

You are not required to register and the site is free to use - sponsors
on the site pay for the donated rice.  There is one serious side effect
though - you're learning while playing!  :O  Plus, it's fun to watch
your rice pile up.

I haven't yet researched the site so I don't know how legitimate it is.
If it is truly legitimate (as I hope it is) you could probably provide
enough rice for a family's meal on your lunch break.

Thanks for listening and once again I apologize for being completely off
topic on this list.

Karen E. Franklin

Fort Worth, TX