RE: [RC] Bears on the trail - Ranelle Rubin

Diane, I agree.

I am not in favor of killing any wildlife just because it happens to be in the area where I want to ride. I am, however very upset when my life is in danger. Just like the rattlesnake that refused to leave the trail at Kaput Springs last summer on a training ride, this bear (the one I saw on Thursday while riding alone) did NOT yield. It started walking toward us! That is when Fellow lost it. Until then, he was just standing there blowing and snorting. I don't believe he had ever seen one, unless up at his previous owner's in Georgetown which is completely possible.

The one we saw on Sunday was much larger, and was up on the hillside, but was headed in our direction. It is a funny spot on the trail where there is a drainage with a waterfall, and you can see the other side of the drainage quite well. If we had not turned back, and the bear had decided to come down toward the trail (he/she was only about 50 ft above it), we would have been on the side of a very steep drop off with our horses climbing out of the drainage. It is a spot I am not fond of, and glad to be past without a bear..no thanks adding a bear interaction.

Maybe there are rubber bullets that sting but don't kill. I sure would hate to see these bears in the back of a pickup too. They are beautiful, and deserve to have a habitat..I am happy to share..after all, there are 100+ miles of trail out there!

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. ~ John Wayne

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx