Re: [RC] [RC] Horse Won't Accept Syringe - Beth Walker

Well -- that is why you have to wait until the wormer or whatever has been swallowed before giving the treat. ?

I only give Caisson the treat when his mouth is fairly clean, because yes - otherwise he uses the treat to spit out the wormer or whatever. ?However, with him, I can't just walk away, either. ?If I do, he just stands there with his mouth open, making "yuck" faces and drooling all the wormer out. ?

It helps if I stick my finger in the corner of his mouth to encourage him to swallow. ?Gently working the corner of the lip helps too. ? Once his mouth is clear, he gets the treats. ?He does usually get a little bit of leftover on the first treat (and spits it out), but not much. ?It usually takes two or three treats for him to quit making "yuck" faces, and I've been able to slip the 'gooey' one back in with a couple of fresh ones.

He was on a daily wormer when I bought him, and I've continued that. ?However, you still have to give a purge wormer for tapeworms and such, and that treatment comes in a tube. ?Twice a year beats every couple of months, though!