[RC] Bears on the Tevis trail - Ranelle Rubin

Hi Ridecampers,

Twice this week, I have run into bears between the Overlook and No Hands Bridge. The first time, I was alone, and Fellow was an 1100 lb CHICKEN! The bear started walking toward us, which sent Fellow over the edge. He was so very terrified, snorting, HR up to 225..spun, and headed back to the trailer way faster than I was comfortable. He was still looking back down the trail snorting when we were back..!

Yesterday, I was riding with friends and we saw another, larger bear that had already frightened some other horses. We ended up turning back when we saw him (or her) based on where it was. There was a pretty steep drop off just below it, and it was not moving away. These bears seem very unafraid of humans. The one yesterday was at the waterfall about a mile from the staging area. Thursday, the one I saw was only about a half mile in.

If anyone has had a run in with these bears, will you please email me details as to where and when and what happened? It is my understanding the State Parks can relocate bears that have become too comfortable with human presence. The one yesterday was about 20 feet above some runners, just watching them go by. They did not even know he was there. My concern besides scaring horses off a cliff, is there are people out there with very young children, often in strollers and back packs..

Thanks so much!

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. ~ John Wayne

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx