[RC] Tevis Volunteers! - Ranelle Rubin

Hi Ridecampers,

For starters, please feel free to cross-post this on any list you feel will benefit the efforts of this ride.

Last year, I had heard there were volunteers who attempted to help at the ride, but for some reason were never contacted after their initial attempt to do so. That seemed odd to me at the time, but never one to complain about something I am not willing to be a part of fixing, I didn't say much.

At Tevis, many of us waited far too long to be trailered out of Last Chance. Not that I minded hanging out with Dr. Q...but it was longer than expected. This event caused me to be willing to take action in being "part of the solution". So, with that said, I am now going to be fielding all the emails that come off the Tevis website, and all the calls that come into the Tevis office to the appropriate head volunteer based on the need and the talents/desires of the volunteer.

My question to you fellow riders, is this: What will make it easier and desirable enough to cause you to want to volunteer for Tevis? There are many needs, like trailering pulled horses, controlling traffic, P&R, vet scribes, radio, etc. For example, from what I understand last year, they had a real shortage of folks who could trailer horses. I certainly understand this is not a job everyone wants to do. What would help folks want to do this?

Any suggestions or ideas to increase our volunteer pool would be greatly appreciated. There is a board meeting this Saturday, and I would like to take your suggestions to the board. I will be in a client's office all day today (Monday) and tomorrow, so if you respond and don't get an answer, please be patient.

Will someone please cross post this to the AERC forum?? Thanks!

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway. ~ John Wayne

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx