Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:36:25 -0500
From: rdcarrie@xxxxxxxxx
To: ladurgin@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Need tips for giving eye meds.
CC: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ok...I hope this explanation makes sense.  Look at his eyelid.  See that crease (fold) in the upper eyelid?  Insert the tip of your index finger into that crease.  Slide the eyelid UPWARD.  It's very important that you concentrate on pushing *upward,* not inward, as inward will put pressure on the eyeball.  It helps to have someone hold his halter.  If you're doing it correctly, the eyelid will kinda fold down over the top of your finger as you slide it up. As you're doing this, use your thumb to pull the lower eyelid down.  Squirt the stuff in the front inner part of the eye, and release both eyelids.  It takes a little practice, so you might want to try it a time or two without trying to insert the meds till you get proficient.  Just remember to slide upward.  It helps if you hold your hand flat against his head, with your index finger pointing up, rather than having your hand some distance away with your finger pointing *at* him...that way your finger will push the eyelid up.

Hope this helps...
Dawn Carrie