[RC] Horse Won't Accept Syringe - JACK WEAVER

My gelding who I have owned for 2 years won't accept an oral syringe - wormers, bute, electrolytes, etc.  I have managed to treat him up to now by sneaking products into his feed, but he needed bute after getting his teeth floated and after day 1 has refused his meds.  Once he sees the syringe he pulls back, raises his head, gets very upset and he is strong.  I don't want to get into a fight or have either of us get hurt and this time pretty much gave up, since he seems to be eating OK, but I know that some time in the future we will need to use a syringe.  He seems touchy about his muzzle and if I'm going to touch him around his muzzle or lips I usually have to work my way down his head.  But he accepts the bit readily, lets me handle his ears, eyes, jaw and actually seems to relax when I hug or stroke him in those places.   He doesn't toss his head or otherwise seem uncomfortable in his mouth just wary.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help him get over his fear of the "white plastic thing" and me to deal with this without either of us getting hurt.  Right now he is suspicious when my hands head for his face and I'm worried that I have already pushed him too far.

I lurk on Ricecamp and don't recall ever seeing this issue come up but at rides I have seen horses fight their riders when the electrolytes came out so I don't think I'm the only one with this issue.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Judy
Placerville, CA