[RC] Eye meds - Sharon Hahn

I have a not-very-foodie mare, so giving her treats won't inspire her to do anything.   Fortunately, she is generally very cooperative.  She ripped her cornea pretty bad years ago while thrashing around in a stock trailer en route to colic surgery - I had to do the eye ointment thing for MONTHS.  The thing that helped me most was to put the ointment on my finger first rather than trying to squirt it out of the tube.  She was much more trusting of my finger near her eye than some scary pointy little tube.  Also, then I didn't need to worry about stabbing her in the eye with the tube when she inevitably moved.  Granted, it's better to do it right out of the tube so as not to contaminate the ointment, but I was careful to wash my hands thoroughly so I had a clean finger.  I figured it couldn't be any worse than a horse eyelash.