Re: [RC] vaccination reaction? - Amber Roberts

Not entirely endurance related, but many of us get our horses vaccinated, and we are talking about my fabulous retired Tevis
mare. The vet came out last week and immunized my herd - tetnus, WEE, EEE, West Nile, rhino-flu, etc. THe next day I was
standing in the yard with my farrier holding my current horse for him, and I saw the mare get all wobbly and almost fall over, not
once, but twice. > weird.

Has anyone experienced this? Vets out there have any comments? What should I do with her in the future when vaccination time
rolls around?

Yes, too many shots all at once. I run a boarding facility and some years ago, a boarder gave her horse five shots all on the same day. The horse became terribly sick and was never the same since. She ultimately ended up having to put him down! When the vet comes here (as he did a few days ago), I have him do the Coggins, check teeth, and give one shot. He gave W. Nile this time. I give the other shots and do worming at least one week apart. If you don't know how to give your own shots, have your vet show you. Have the vet do one shot, and have him bring the other shots to you. Keep them in the refrigerator and give them at least a week apart. Remove them from the refrigerator a little while before giving them so they are so cold.

Amber