[RC] Mentoring new riders or Momma Duckie and the Ducklings - Lucie Hess

I guess I can now be called Momma Duckie (not to be
confused with THE DUCK!) I mentored 2 new  LD riders
at the State Fair Express and had one 2ND time rider
with me for the LD.  I rode Spanky, who did very well
and was sound at the finish and Diane Conklin rode her
Appy Mare "Big Mare".  Unfortunately Diane's mare had
a minor issue with an easy boot at the turn around
point so she wasn't able to finish the ride, she
pulled at the Vet Check.  <Darn the Luck> We were all
having so much fun and I know she was disappointed.

3 Natrc riders were the ducklings,  Experienced
riders, Bobbie Bedsworth on her Foxtrotter, April and
Mary Stanford on her Peruvian, Artie, and Juliette
Ritzman, (who is a new NATRC competitor), rode her
Foxtrotter, Joe.
With some explanation of the vet checks and the
differences between NATRC and AERC, Bobbie and Mary
took off.. Those gaited horses can fly.  They didn't
want to ride with slow old Momma Duckie!

I was very cautious and didn't want to overstress
Spanky's leg with the old injury, so I rode slow and
cautious.  Diane, Juliette and I had great fun
trotting interspersed with periods of walking.

Jennifer Finley caught up with us  early on and rode
the rest of the ride with us.
We were quite a sight I'm sure. A Sabino paint
foxtrotter, a big Appy, a 1/2 Arab-Appy, (Spanky had
his Rump rug on, so I'm sure folks just thought he was
an arab something-- kinda mix) and a really cute flea
bitten  Arab with the Typiest head.. He really is a
gelding!  Jennifer says he gets called "She" all the
time! (I'm not sure if Jennifer completed, I had heard
her horse was off at the final check.. But I'm not
sure about that, so could be wrong.)

I'm proud to say all the new riders completed the ride
and their horses all had A's on their vet cards.
Juliette completed her second LD ride with all A's.
Mary and Bobby had a great time..all smiles. It was
great to see Bobby back at a ride, life circumstances
have kept her away for a few years.  <I hate when that
happens>  Bobby is planning on riding more AERC rides
this year, so she joined AERC and OCER.. I GOT MINE!

The next set of ducklings will be my Granddughters..
there are 2 of them, so one will ride  novice NATRC
and the other LD's.  I had them out conditioning this
weekend.  Just 4- 5 miles.. don't want to overwhelm
them, well work up to more miles slowly.  The girl who
will be the LD rider was unhappy, because "We didn't
trot enough, Nanna".  I think I made the right picks
for each girl!
The girls are  new AERC members, OCER members and
NATRC members (family membership).. so do new Jr.
Riders count in getting more members?

So stay tuned for more Momma Duckie and the Ducklings
stories..  <Quacking sounds heard in the background!>

 Columbia, Missouri
 NATRC Region 6
 AERC # 65
 AERC Central Region