[RC] Trace Tribute AKA The Cavalry Rides Again - Paul

Holy Cow,

I just got in (Sunday night 7:40 pm), and can't believe nobody has posted about the Trace Tribute Ride...

First: The weather forecast for  Friday was for terrible severe storms, winds,  and flooding of Biblical proportions. Then for Saturday it was to be sunny and in the mid 60's.. One thing about who ever was pulling weather forecasting duty for those days was when they were wrong, they were consistently wrong.  Friday was light rain and drizzle.. Saturday was overcast and darned cool. So there were no terrified Endurance riders looking for a hole to crawl into to avoid tornadoes.

Second: As for pulling our rigs in, that was mostly to keep from really rutting up the field of our hosts, the Marlow's. He had a John Deere large 4 wheel drive tractor and just slowly walked everybody in. Except me. I drove my Chevy Avalanche in with no problems.  All in all there were no problems.. Most made it out Sunday morning unassisted.

Third:  The mud... Ok the trail wasn't nearly as dusty as Tevis in August. There were some boggy places. There were soft places. But they were for very short 50 -200 feet stretches. After that you could move right along. I forget the exact numbers but believe it was 23 out 26 of the 50's completed and 22 out of 25 of the 30 mile riders completed. If the trail was really that bad there would have been more pulls. In the weird world section:  My buddy Ron Chapman proved that there is always a rock with your name out there. At about 3 miles into the ride, his horse found that rock. It put a hole through the sole of his foot. He'll be ok, but imagine finding a rock like that on a very muddy ride.

Fourth:  Ride Management, Vets  and Volunteers were GREAT!!!. Well marked trail. Great follow-up tracking riders on trail. All in all a wonderful experience. My only thought is that this trail is beautiful now with all the creeks and views, but in 3-4 weeks when the leaves are all on the trees it would be incredible.

Oh Yeah, Fifth:  RM Angie Fura got interested in the concept of Cavalry and decided to offer it at this ride. She thought that modern day Endurance Riders might not overwhelmingly respond, but she would try it. There were 7 or 8 Cavalry entries in the 50. Steve and Karen Cummings who tied for first rode Cavalry, and did Kristen ??? Who also top tenned.
There were 8-9 Cavalry Riders in the 30. The response was great. Everybody who did it enjoyed it and learned from the experience. Angie came up with some great awards for Cavalry completions.  It was fun!!!

I am sure I am forgetting something, but I'm pooped.

You should have been there

Paul N. Sidio
Piper
Spokane MO