RE: [RC] Vet question - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

Horses aren’t as sensitive to the adverse side effects of giving non-steroidal and steroid drugs as other species are (ie, dogs and rabbits are notorious), but the risk still exists at some level and is worth avoiding.

If you know the area that is specifically injured, you might consider one of the topical anti-inflammatories, such as diclofenac, which is marketed by Idexx Labs under the brand name Surpass.  Very effective and would be a safe alternative just in case while you’re finishing up the dex treatment and allowing a week or so wash-out period.  The risk of using bute plus dex is fairly minimal, but better safe than sorry.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kathy Macki
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2008 3:36 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Vet question

Can you give dexamethizone and bute at the same time?  I am treating my mare for her cough and just noticed that she is quite lame.  I am almost done with the dex treatment.  This is probably going to be a chronic lameness from an injury in September and will require bute daily.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Kathy Macki