[RC] Tidbits from Trace - rides2far

Apparently Columbia TN is a blank area in cell coverage but Jody kept
calling people she knew were at the ride until she finally got our
farrier Guy Buck on his way home. Her home computer's fried so I'm
relaying what she told me that he told her through a spotty
connection...you know how accuracy decreases each time it changes hands
so consider this better than nothing but nowhere near reliable...

He said yes the tractor did pull every rig in and every rig out. Today
was a miserable, windy, damp, sucky day. Every horse was completely
covered in mud. They had a total of 60 riders, only 3 or 4 pulls. Bud
Davidson was first to finish but was pulled for lameness at the finish.
Marie Threadgill and Jackson finished. That's all we got from him.

Josie and I took Friday off school, I kept loading the trailer though the
forecast was horrible. Couldn't decide whether it would be better to haul
up in rain, get towed into the field *before* their 6 hours of torrential
rain & strong thundershowers, which would change over to just "rain" for
another 5 hours (after a day or so of rain with a flood watch out), or
stay home till the worst was over (just a 3 hour haul) then get up there
just before dark. I was already iffy Thursday so Jody called me hourly to
say I was a WEINY if I backed out. Meanwhile I'm sweating bullets because
this is 7's first anything ride and we're planning 50. Then Jody's
daughter's horse "Booger" got the SNOT kicked out of him (pardon the pun)
knocking them out.(Did I mention that I told her not to put him in with
the new horse and she assured me it would be fine and I was TOTALLY
RIGHT?)

I kept my options open till 2 PM, still trying to decide what to do, all
loaded up and ready just needed to put in the horses, then they put out
tornado watches everywhere down here, wind advisories for large trailers,
expected 45 mph gusts, etc. That did it we called it off. Of course I've
second guessed myself the whole weekend. Wanted them all to do well but
also wanted news that I'd made the right call so I guess this description
was a pretty good middle ground. I'm sure glad the ones who braved it
mostly got their completions.  Jody and I were imagining today when no
word was coming out that they may have all been swept away...and we'd
have to just figure out who wasn't showing up at rides and go put white
crosses up where that camp had been. Sounded like a lot of work. I'm glad
they're fine.

Angie