Re: [RC] Puppies and Horses - jamie ward

LOL We have a 9 mo old border collie, he and our Hackney pony twilight  play "tag" scout will bark and pull on twilight's tail then, if Twilight feels like playing he will turn around and chase the dog. They take turns tearing around the pasture chasing each other. They will keep it up for well over an hour. when they are both tired they will find a pile of hay Twilight will eat while scout sleeps in the pile. Scout leaves the other horses alone he only does this with the pony
Jamie

Sherri Lyngar <slyngar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Just to lighten things up a bit...

We currently have eleven puppies on property... how we ended up with a litter of eleven puppies is a long story, but they are here and thriving until we find them homes. However, problems arise when you are trying to contain eleven puppies and with two horses on property I have nightmares of one of the little pups getting squished by a misplaced hoof.

Much like other animals that our horses explore I was curious to see what would happen if they ventured near the horses pen. Standing by to intervene I watched as the little pups made there way near the horses, some of them being bold enough to venture under and around them. I was about to call a halt to the experiment when one of the horses, Thunder, started herding the puppies outside of the pen. You'll have to understand my shock, Thunder is a 5 year old, 15 hand race bred arab who is quite opinionated. He very gentley pushed them with his nose until they were outside the pen or at the very least hovering around the edge. He got testy when one of the puppies attacked his brothers back hoof and brought his foot up out of the way. Thunder chased Lightning(his brother) back into the shelter and herded that pup out as well. Our only incident was when one of the puppies wasn't moving to his satisfaction and he picked it up by its tail. The instant "yipping" and "Thunder drop that puppy!" had the puppy safely back on the ground and bemused looking horse trying to figure out why that hadn't worked out the way he planned. FYI, puppy and tail are both fine.

Anyway, I know that a lot of other people have stories of their horses and other animals and I thought it would be fun if we shared.

Cheers
Sherri

http://jamers1220.tripod.com/  for info and ride story's .

Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you, and the ground.