RE: [RC] The Old Way (was: Spanish Mustangs) - heidi

Well, Kat, you are talking individual owners taking a moral and financial
responsibility to have their individual horse euthanized on their property.
That is what we want!  But this thread is about people creating/accumulating
more horses than they have a plan for, and passing their responsibility to
others, by just sending the horse down the road to auction or abandoning
them.

Well, actually, Terry, Kat is talking about the fact that YOU stated (in this
thread!) that "urbanization" made it impossible to have local slaughter
facilities, and she is pointing out that that is not the case--the problem is
that people (like you, judging from your scores of past posts on the subject)
have pressured Congress to pass laws making it illegal to slaughter horses for
meat.

She would like to be able to make the same "moral and financial responsiblity"
and have her horse put down by the local butcher, the option for which IS FULLY
AVAILABLE TO MOST OF US FOR OTHER SPECIES despite urbanization (ie your
argument about that is full of holes).  If it were not for a bunch of bleeding
hearts who have turned veterinarians into "Dr. Death" (and Kat is right
again--vets would much prefer being able to concentrate on life rather than
being the harbingers of death) that "moral and financial" option would still be
available for responsible owners to end the lives of their horses, rather than
be forced by legislation to accumulate them because there are frequently no
other options (one thing urbanization HAS done is remove many of the options
for burial or for simply leaving a shot carcass out for nature's scavengers to
dispose of), and finally resort to turning them loose because people like
yourself have legislated away one of the more efficient means of taking "moral
and financial responsibility."

I concede that there are "collectors" of horses that are pathological.  Those
are the ones that make the news--but those are not the ones who make up the
bulk of the slaughter population.  There are already laws in place that allow
prosecution of people who neglect and abuse horses--we don't need MORE laws for
that.  But what we are seeing now is that we cannot enforce such laws, because
people like you have so burdened the enforcement system with abandoned horses
by REMOVING a means of "moral and financial responsibility" for getting rid of
horses that have no function that there will be more and more horses suffering
for lack of enforcement, since enforcement is swamped.

Congratulations, Terry.  We are now reaping what you have sowed.

Heidi