[RC] state fair express unofficial ride results - sherman

I hope not to dig myself a deeper hole here, but I think you
misunderstood my point. I'm not upset or arguing the grading, just
wishing the difference between a relaxed (or bored) horse and a fatigued
horse was more clear, NOT that the vet should have the responsibility to
try to determine the difference.

And wouldn't it be nice if gaiting was more easily recognizable. I know
it's not though because I have 2 TWHs on the other side of my fence and
after 3 years seeing them moving around nearly every day, I still think
they move funny, no offense meant. I've never seen them trot, even at
liberty, but they were show trained and I'm sure that trotting was not
allowed at all. OTOH, a friend recently bought a MFT and he will trot
quite readily under saddle, probably not in hand because he has to be
moving pretty fast or going uphill to break into a trot. And sometimes
it is very hard to tell exactly what he is doing with his feet because
he'll get excited and mix up his gaits. I sure wouldn't want to have to
judge that.

So that's it, just observations. I've never argued a vet score and never
will. I couldn't imagine someone arguing over a score when they'd just
been awarded BC, or even if they didn't get BC.

Kathy

I am continuously baffled why riders continue to be upset over getting a
on anything consistently throughout a ride, even more so when the same
vet
has just okayed you for a COMPLETION, as in Fit To Continue.  Be upset
about
an A at vet-in, then a B at VC 1, then a C at VC 2, then a Pull plus or
minus treatment.  The riders in my area know that I rarely give an A for
anything if the horse looks like it's left the barn---so what?  I very
often
grade a horse as a B if for whatever reason, they are less than up and
dancing on their toes---as long as the score does not deteriorate
throughout
the day, it only means to the vet(s) to take a close look to make sure
you
are differentiating between a naturally relaxed moving (or bored) horse
versus a fatigued horse.

I am increasing of the opinion that a vet card should consist of an
"Okay"
or a "Not Okay".

Sorry, JMO, but this is right up there with the rider that I had awarded
BC
to, and then looked at the judging card and wanted to argue with the vet
scores---while holding the BC award in the other hand.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM