[RC] another dam injury - jamie ward

I have been seriously thinking of changing my gelding's name from Jasper to calamity !  This is the 3rd time this year he has hurt himself. Jasper has had his own 12x24  area fenced off in the pasture so I could put more weight on him. I let him out last night to "play" for awhile before feeding everyone. when I caught him he was still being goofy looking for thing's to jump at and so on. I get him in his pen and turn to shoo away one of our mare's who wants to join him. he  starts freaking out I drop the lead rope he didn't have a halter or anything on just the rope thrown over his neck luckily. he was running wildly around. I had put a stable type blanket under his turn out because it was unusually cold for this time of year
well it must have came unsnapped while he was running around with the other horses and it slid down over his butt when i put him in the pen from what i could tell and got caught on the leg straps of his other blanket. he then threw his self over one of the cattle panels just missing a T-post the panel collapsed  under him and he broke a small 2" pine tree he got free of it and raced around the pasture he Finlay stopped when the straps broke and the other blanket fell away. we took him over to our barn looking him over nothing looked broke thank god  and i thought he got away with just a few minor scrapes until we pulled his blanket off. His right front leg in the fleshy part in between his  forarm and shoulder was split open about 5 inches and their was what looked like a puncture wound into the muscle it was not bleeding very badly.  it must of happened from the cattle panel. We got him to the vet. he chose not to stitch him closed because it had been a few hour's  and said he didn't want to trap bacteria so he just scrubbed it out and rinsed it the skin is pulled away from the muscle about three inches above the gash .
He received a shot of penicillin and was given 10 days of antibiotics along with spraying it twice a day with Shriner's and being in a stall. after that he said give him light exercise for a few day's then he will be back to normal work . So it is not a serious as I thought I'm very thankful for that.He is staying at riding buddy/neighbors house so i can visit him a couple times a day with out hearing about waisting gas from hubby. and with  nothing better to do but eat maybe he will put the  50lbs i have been trying to get on him.
The sucky part is if i hadn't let him go play with the other horses he wouldn't of been all jumpy and would have stood their waiting for me to untangle him but  at least  he didn't break a leg.

http://jamers1220.tripod.com/  for info and ride story's .

Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you, and the ground.