RE: [RC] state fair express unofficial ride results - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

I personally hate the "grading system" and look upon it as a necessary evil
because too many vets won't write out notes about >perceived problems.  For
years I used "OK" and wrote notes when I saw specific potential problems
that I wanted the next vet >to particularly note, and I still think that is
far more effective and accurate--IF people will read the cards and use them
as intended.  We've had some really good ride vets bashed in our area for
grading as you describe--and I'd much rather ride >under them than most,
because with their experience and outspokenness, they will pick up on things
that I miss when riding >with DIMR, and will tell me bluntly what they think
is going on.  I'd MUCH rather have that than a vet card chock-full of A's
and a horse in trouble.

Heidi

Along the same lines, I once had a rider complain that I wasn't fully
evaluating her horse because during the trot-out, I was done watching after
about six strides and had turned away.  Before I had mentally edited my
reply, the next rider in line (who I've vetted many times) busted out
laughing and told the annoyed rider, "Honey, be glad---when you want to
worry is when the vet asks you to trot out AGAIN."

I swear, I'm going to start vetting with a rubber stamp---one for thumbs up,
one for thumbs down.  I've also considered an additional rubber stamp
utilizing further detailed communication via a hand gesture, but haven't
seen it for sale yet.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM