[RC] stable management - sherman

I'm pretty sure that feeding a high percentage of alfalfa will cause a
very strong urine odor. Also, my horses will pee inside their stalls all
the time if I use shavings over their stall mats. If I don't have the
shavings, they pee outside. They don't like to get splashed. My
daughter's mare just started peeing inside the trailer. I guess she just
noticed that there are shavings even though I only put them where their
rear ends are. So now after every ride, she pees inside the trailer (:<(

Kathy

This isn?t directly endurance related, but could be, and I wanted to
check with all of you smart people. ?Over Easter I was visiting friends
who wanted to show me their daughter?s horse.? We went to the lovely
facility, very close to their house.? Walked in and I was stunned by the
odor of urine.? Barns don?t usually smell of that.? Later when I talked
to my (grown) daughter who was with me she said it made her light
headed.? I thought maybe they hadn?t cleaned the stalls, since it was
Easter, but a quick check showed they must have ? not much manure.?
There were some shavings ? not much over rubber mats.? Next I noticed
that the horses seemed rather rambunctious and unhappy in their stalls.?
Never quite felt that energy all through a barn before.? So it may just
be they aren?t getting enough turnout, and not using enough shavings.?
But my daughter suggested it might be a feeding issue that led to both
the urine smell and the unhappy energy of the horses.? Dr. Garlinghouse,
what do you think?? Feed or other issues?? Anyway, I?ll be seeing my
friends, and was wondering if I should mention something ? I guess that
is a whole other issue ? but I didn?t want to just point out problems
without possible solutions, so if any of you have ideas, please let me
know.
?
Anna Wolfe