Re: [RC] running martingales - Barbara McCrary

As I was riding yesterday, I discovered that if I arced my body a little and looked to the side I would be rewarded by my horse moving laterally away from the side to which I was looking.  I figured I was putting pressure on one side of his back with my seat and he was moving away from it.  For example, I would bend my body to the right, look to the left and put pressure on the left side of my seat.  Does this sound logical to you, who obviously is a far more refined horseman than I am.  I need to move him laterally on occasions, as he tends to walk a bit closer to a drop-off than I am comfortable with.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 5:35 PM
Subject: [RC] running martingales

I know I am a little long in the tooth...been riding for 50 years....EX-Eventer rider....now distance rider..
I always use a running martingale...I ride in a French Mouth Snaffle and it does not restrict any lateral movement...lateral movement comes from your legs not your hands....
Just my 2 cents worth there....
Lyn O.Owen
Over Fence Farm
South Carolina