Re: [RC] running martingale redux - Firedance Farms Arabians

I agree, a German martingale is a wonderful tool, and you don't know it is there unless you need it.  There is no constant pressure; it only works if the horse throws his head.  If you have one that rears, you just loosen the reins as you usually would and the martingle does not work.
Basically, here's how it works:  your regular reins have rings on them.  The martingale attaches to the girth (I've never used one that attaches to the breast collar) and runs under the breast plate and through the rings of a snaffle.  It is VERY important that the martingale runs OUT..IOW you stick the martingale ends through the rings from the inside toward the outside.  Then you hook it on the rings.
My set up is a little different than Tammy's.  You can make your own with two sets of biothane reins.  Put one ring on each rein.  This is a trick and best done by someone who makes biothane tack.  The ring must not be free on the rein like a running martingale.  Take the other rein and put a two way snap at the middle.  Put some little keeper on to stablize it.  Put a few more holes in your reins at the end and use a conway buckle to adjust the martingale.  I find adjusting the martingale much easier and simplier than having two or three rings on your rein (the way commerical martingales are made).  It is very dangerous to use one without a breast collar, as they could possibly get caught in them.  The breast collar keeps the martingale in place.
Please, don't confuse a German martingale with a standing martingale.  A standing martingale (the ones you see on barrel horses) are very dangerous and teach a horse to push against it, so if you ever take it off his head goes sky high!  I can't recall ever seeing an endurance rider riding in one.
Running martingales seem to be a personal choice.  I hate them; my daughter loves them.
Hope this helps some!
Louise
Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians