[RC] Martingales - rnbianchi

I have used both of these "devices" at one time or another.  I now use a running martingale on one of my horses whether I am using the bit or the Little "S" Hack.  My running martingale just clips to the ring on the front of the breast plate and because it has a snap attachment there the strap slides easily from side to side.  This allows plenty of lateral play with the reins.  I can use an "open" rein by bringing one hand close to his neck and the other way out to the side.

I have used a German martingale on a small mare that needed to be held up in the front so I needed the leverage that that type of martingale provided.  She would have made a good endurance prospect if you wanted a horse that never tired, but personally I wouldn't have been able to hold her for 50 miles or more.  I fox hunted her for a season and came home aching after every meet.  Without the use of the German Martingale she would have been un-ride-able, at least for me.  My concern with the German Martingale in endurance is that it might be dangerous if the horse should stumble and fall in the front.  There just isn't enough release and if the straps are attached to the girth through the front legs there could be a tangling issue.

Be safe,
Becky Bianchi