Re: [RC] running martingale redux - Beth Walker

No problem.

I agree that what works for one doesn't work for another (person or horse). Could be the martingale adjustment does have a lot to do with it. I'd love to not have to use any style martingale on my fellow. My old horse never needed one, but my new fellow has a long- standing head-tossing habit that I may never completely resolve. He is getting better, but its a long process.

I've recently switched him from the S-hack to a Myler combination bit with the 41PB mouthpiece that Ranelle recommended. So far, I really like it. The last group training ride I went on, I was able to do the ride without the martingale, and seemed to have better control, with much less rein pressure. Since it is a leverage bit, it isn't any good for English-style arena work, but I have a nice lozenge- mouth eggbut snaffle for that. This horse varies considerably in what works, depending on the situation.