Re: [RC] running martingale redux - Beth Walker

I don't use running martingales, because I don't like the way they constrict how I use the reins. I like to be able to move my rein laterally to give cues, and you just can't do that with a running martingale. I feel "trapped" if I ride a horse in a running martingale. Basically, all you can do with the reins in that setup is pull straight back. You can't give any kind of cue.

I use a German martingale. Tammy Robinson sells the set I use, and recommended them to me. A German martingale still prevents the "head in my face" syndrome, and gives the horse freedom to put his head all the way to the ground, but gives me all the lateral control I want. They work fine with S-Hacks. I use mine on the loosest setting. My set has beta reins, and a nylon martingale section. They are more expensive than a running martingale, because you need the special reins, too. IMO, though, I like the way they work much better than a running martingale, as I have full lateral control as well.

There are two cautions I would give and one is not specific to German martingales. The reins on my set connect to the bit / hack with scissor snaps. They have come unsnapped twice now, so that the only control I had was the martingale attachment. I am looking for a different snap for the attachment.

The other caution is just watching for wear -- the martingale section where it goes through the bit rings can wear, so you need to check it from time to time.