[RC] Calming Products - sherman

My horse is fun and easy to ride, ridden in a halter since about his 10th ride. I’d originally bought the product for a very exicitable mare I had that was not fun for most people to ride, then sold her without ever trying it. Since Susan wanted a recommendation on calming products, I tried it on my gelding since he does have anxiety in the trailer only when he’s alone and I was going to be trailering alone the next day. I didn’t really like his subdued attitude because I’m used to his perkiness. It took a bit of the thrill out of the ride. However, if I were 74 and needed my horse to be more relaxed, and it would have no damaging affect on his organs, I’d use it sparingly, only when being ridden, but not on a daily basis.

I am curious though, my horse has a problem when the nail is driven in his hooves, so we just stay barefoot. Many trainers and farriers have suggested sedating him a few times, then say he would be accepting of the procedure. If that works, why wouldn’t calming herbs do the same? Or does the sedation a few times not really work? I’m not going to do it because booting isn’t that big a deal for me and I’ve learned to appreciate the bare hoof, but I am curious. Same question about horses that have anxiety trailering...does calming products, RX or herbal, have any affect, long term, on the anxiety?

Kathy

Margaret wrote:

Is this really a behavior problem?  Giving a calming product to a horse is not necessarily a substitute for not riding a horse properly.  It doesn't matter what the substance is.....if the rider is over-horsed, no amount of "calming" is going to resolve the issue.

Ed wrote:

"...Valerian Root, Black Cohosh, Passion Flower, Wood Betony, Hops, Ginger Root....."

I will have to answer the same way that I have answered in the past.  While the AERC does now have a list of officially prohibited substances, and does list recommended withdrawal for recommended normally used horse drugs, the actual rule has not changed.

The rule is that nothing is allowed except a very short list of drugs (Exactly one, if I remember correctly) and usual normal nutrients.

The quoted ingredients are Herbal Medicines.  Even though they come from the chemical factories in plants, and not from a human pharmaceutical factory, they are physiocologically active substances and thus are banned.  If they were not physiocologically active, you would be wasting your money.

There is no easy fix for endurance horse behavior problems.

Ed