Re: [RC] sponge help - Rae Callaway

I do mine opposite.  The snap closest to the sponge is snapped onto the breast collar and the other end of the leash is snapped onto the D-ring on the saddle.  The closest one I never unsnap, just bend down and undo the one on the breast collar and drop.  I pull the extra leash through the pommel of my saddle (western type) and fold over - so I don't have to deal with a hanging leash or having to wrap the leash around the sponge.

Rae

----- Original Message ----
From: Angie Fura <tracetribute@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2008 10:44:20 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] sponge help

A handle is needed, as well as the proper size snaps. Does anyone have pics or suggestions of their favorite setup?

I have finally perfected my set up.  I use two trigger snaps, one attached at the base of the sponge and another at the end of string.  I bought my snaps from Running Bear.  I attach the base snap to a D on my saddle and the end snap to my breastplate.  The string hangs down the shoulder.  With this set-up, I know that I'm always going to unsnap the snap closest to me (on the saddle) and leave the one on the breastplate as a safety net in case I drop the sponge.  Initially, I thought the wet sponge would bang against my leg, but I haven't found this to be a problem.   Your horse needs to be OK with a sponge flapping around his/her legs in the event that you lose your sponge on the fly.
Also, a friend of mine turned me onto parachute cord.  It doesn't tangle which makes it awesome for sponging!  You can get it at any Army/Navy store.

Angie Fura

www.tracetribute.com